The history of the Mr. and Mrs. P.A. Woodward’s Foundation is closely associated with Charles Woodward, Woodward Stores founder. One of his sons, P.A. Woodward, maintained an interest and involvement in the family business throughout his life. He served as Vice President of the Company prior to his retirement.
During the latter part of their lives, Mr. and Mrs. P.A. Woodward donated to many charitable organizations. There is no complete record of these contributions, but generally the gifts supported education, health and various religious bodies.
In 1951, P.A. established the Woodward Foundation to formalize these activities. On November 8th 1951, he chaired the Foundation’s first board of directors meeting at the offices of Woodward’s Department Stores at 101 West Hastings Street in Vancouver, British Columbia.
In 1953, the Foundation’s name was changed to the Mr. and Mrs. P.A. Woodward’s Foundation.
The Foundation does not solicit or receive funds from any sources. The assets of the Foundation represent lifetime gifts to the Foundation from the late Mr. and Mrs. Woodward, together with the residue from their estates following the death of Mr. Woodward in 1968 and Mrs. Woodward in 1970. Since then the portfolio continues to grow under the management of the Foundation’s Executive Committee.